Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Is Brazil Dangerous?

One of the main differences between Brazil and the United States/Western Europe I would say is safety.  I am not exactly saying that Brazil is more dangerous, but I'm saying that the concept of safety is well - different here.

Let me start off by saying that a lot of people in my family and in my friend group think I'm absolutely crazy for going to Brazil because of safety concerns.  Brazil is in South America, yes.  Brazil has a ton of cities that are featured on lists as some of the most dangerous in the world, yes.  Is it  "oh-so-dangerous nobody can possibly live here?"  No.  Over 200 million people live here and "go through the motions" just like anywhere else, every day. You just need to adapt, like any new place.

Adapting for me wasn't the easiest thing.  I've always lived in relatively safe places.  Back when I lived in Hawai'i, I would go for midnight runs when I felt like it - and there was no sense of danger at all.  In Rome and in Boston, I could walk through the main parts of the city at 3am - alone - and nothing would ever happen to me.  

Then there is Brazil.  

Let's backtrack a little.  My first time here in Brazil in May was to Recife (in the Northeast) when I came for two weeks.  When I first arrived, I didn't know what to expect.  However, it was a good thing I had my friend Ricardo to help me out.

                         


                         Here's me casually drinking coconut water on Avenida Boa Viagem in Recife!




I was told to always keep my phone in pocket while walking on the street.

In my first few days when I stayed at a hotel, I was told never to leave my money anywhere in the hotel and to keep it on me at all times. 

When I kept my money on me, I would place most of it in my sock.  However, I would always keep a small amount in my pocket for the odd chance in which someone would rob me and ask for some money  (Which has still not happened)

Rule: If someone tries to rob you in Brazil, you give them what they want.  It's not like other places in the world where you can laugh and ignore them, or fight them. They will attack you and they might even have a gun.

I still, to this day, only speak Portuguese in public and never English or Italian.  I always dress to match the way everyone else in the city is.

You don't walk in some areas during the day and never walk alone at night, especially on the beach if you're in a coastal city. 

You never leave anything unattended.  If you come back, it will be gone.

If you are driving, there are some places where instead of stopping at a stop sign, you keep going.    

I actually got a belt with a small pocket that goes under your clothes and keeps valuables hidden out of sight.  You can get it at most currency exchanges here in Brazil for free when you transfer money over.  When Ricardo and I went to the beach, I wore it as well and kept my money inside.  Yup, that was normal.  When we went to get lunch at a nearby restaurant after, they accepted the soaking wet cash. 

Brazil may sound a little scary if I paint it that way.  Not to mention the homocide rates you see online among certain groups in poorer areas skewing the statistics of the general populace. You might even be wondering why I am here.  But really, you get used to it.  Sure, you may give up some of your liberties (No late night beach walks and Pokemon Go, sorry.)  but in the end, it becomes just like anywhere else.  You just need to get used to how people live here and blend in.  You learn what areas are safe, when they are safe, and what you can get away with.  

If you blend in and don't draw attention to yourself, typically nobody will bother you.  Actually, you might even find it pretty safe.  If you walk around wearing a diamond necklace and a Nikon around your neck, sorry but you are asking to get robbed. I've been here over a month and nothing has happened to me *knocking on wood.*  But seriously, it's not that big of a deal.  Many people I know have lived here their entire lives and nothing has ever happened to them.  

Just to reiterate it one more time: the ones who get targeted are usually the ones who dress extremely out-of-place, don't know where they are going, speak English obnoxiously, and display wealth plainly for all to see.  Wealth disparity in Brazil is very large and people who don't earn much aren't too happy when they see you showing off what you have.   Just blend in and walk like you know what you are doing.

Yes, you may be white and blonde like me.  But hey newsflash: Brazilians are some of the most diverse people out there.  It may be weird to imagine, but some Brazilians are just as white or even whiter than me.  Mostly anyone can pass for Brazilian really.

The other truth is that I honestly fell in love with both Recife and Fortaleza.  I thought they were a couple of the most amazing cities I have ever had the privilege of traveling to.  The culture hit close to home with my Southern Italian roots (I'll elaborate on that another time) and the people were among the friendliest I have ever met.   Once you get past the difference in safety and learn to live like the locals, you really are able to appreciate the cities for what they are.  



That's my friend Ricardo,  the one who gave me all of these tips when I first arrived, if you haven't already seen him.  This is just a picture of us hanging out by a canal in Recife, the "Brazilian Venice" on my first week ever in Brazil.


That brings us to now.

The city I am living in now, Belo Horizonte, is probably one of the safest in Brazil.  In the day, most areas are not dangerous at all.  You can walk around with your phone (sparingly, while still paying attention to what's around you) and most people will not do anything.   In fact, you're usually pretty safe walking until about 9pm (Although after dark, you leave your phone in your pocket). Despite of all this, you still need to keep looking around you at all times.  It is still Brazil and there is still crime.  If ever in doubt, just take an Uber to wherever you're heading.  


Before I end, remember how I said there is a difference in the concept of safety when comparing Brazil to the United States and Europe?  Here's what I meant.

Brazilians worry more about safety on a small-scale.  When you're here, you worry more about someone robbing you on the street than you do of a large-scale terrorist attack.  In fact, I'm pretty sure nobody here even thinks twice about groups such as ISIS.  Terrorists are known for striking the United States, Western Europe, along with some parts of Asia and Africa, why would they come to Brazil?  Especially to a city like Belo Horizonte which they've probably never even heard of?

In the United States and in Europe, I would say it's more common to have a fear of terrorism.  When I was living in Rome and in Boston, I generally felt as if I was always living in a potential terrorist target area.  However, I never necessarily felt in danger on the small-scale while walking on the street.  

So is Brazil dangerous?  Yes and no.  If you know how to act, you should be just fine.








No comments:

Post a Comment