Sunday, September 25, 2016

Praça da Liberdade

Hey everyone,

I thought today I would tell you all about a nice spot in my city where I like to spend my time.  

One of the main parks in the city is called Praça da Liberdade.  It's not too large but people tend to come here for daily runs, reading, relaxing with friends, and so on.  I come here all of the time for two reasons.

1)  It's extremely relaxing and one of the safest parts of the city.
2)  It's on my way to work - so I essentially have to walk through it

If any of you have me on Instagram or Snapchat, you've probably seen me constantly posting pictures in this place.  

It actually has a history too.  If you walk around Praça da Liberdade, you will see a plethora of museums and art galleries.   These showcase the history of the region, the city, and also the mining heritage and arts. At the beginning, these buildings composed one large administration complex for the city of Belo Horizonte.  Throughout the 20th century; however, the green square in the middle of it all became an inspiration for upcoming writers, the backdrop for political rallies, and the site of hippie fairs.  Today Praça da Liberdade is simply a nice place for Belo Horizontinos to relax but there are constantly cultural and art events occurring.






Some of the events I have seen or attended here include a morning coffee fair, a technology fair run by the local engineering college, and food festival for sampling local delicacies.

When Pokemon Go first came out, the park would always have hundreds of people hunting down Pikachus and Magikarps, but now the craze has died down a little bit and the square has become more peaceful again.  

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed seeing a small slice of Belo Horizonte and I hope to update you with some more interesting posts soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment