Sunday, October 9, 2016

My mother has arrived!

Hey everyone,

So I just wanted to update you on the fact that I finally have someone to show around my city.  My mom has finally flown in from Hawai'i!  I hadn't seen her in 5 months, so as you can imagine, I'm super excited to have her here.

She was supposed to arrive on Friday, but she was stuck in Florida during Hurricane Matthew and had to arrive on Saturday instead.  It took a long time for her to arrive but I'm thrilled she finally made it.

On Saturday I let her rest of course (It was a long trip for her to arrive), but on Sunday I began to show her around the city.  Our first stop was Praça da Liberdade.


After showing her my favorite park inside of Belo Horizonte, we had a nice lunch at one of my favorite cafés and then went to Savassi (the "trendy" neighborhood with all of the hip cafés, bars, etc.) and I showed her where I am living.  My mom does not know that while she was caught in Hurricane Matthew, I was rushing to clean up the aftereffects of Hurricane Mike in my room.  Anyone who has a mother knows this feeling I guarantee.

Afterwards, we relaxed a little bit and then I took her to Mirante do Mangabeiras to see the sunset over the city with one of my roommates, Maria.  Here is a quick shot of us with the amazing view.



Then here is a picture of Maria and I with the view.


Lastly, here is all three of us.


And then of course, the view speaks for itself.


Belo Horizonte is a city famous for its high quantity of skyscapers.  This is because the city only has limited room to expand.  Because of this, when the population grows, the city grows vertically instead of horizontally.  

It's also worth noting that Belo Horizonte in English translate to "Beautiful Horizon"  because, well, there are so many places to view the beautiful horizon this city has to offer.

After enjoying the sunset, we all journeyed back into Savassi to one of my favorite restaurants, Cafe com Letras, and caught up for the next few hours over Penna alla Vodka, fruit juices, and some amazing desserts.  Here's snapchat video of the three desserts we ordered.  Warning: It might make your mouth water.





Overall, it was a successful day and there are only tons of adventures yet to come!  I'm excited to take all of you along with us, especially on our trip to Rio starting Wednesday!  


No comments:

Post a Comment